The Wyoming State Historical Society recently awarded $6,000 in Homsher Research Grants to several individuals and organizations that are researching and documenting various events in the history of the state. This year’s recipients are:
1. William Bauer Jr. of Laramie who received $800 to research elderly American Indian populations in the West. He plans to write a scholarly article for publication.
2. The Crimson Dawn Association of Casper received $600 to create a video about Neal Forsling, a longtime resident of Casper Mountain.
3. The Dubois Museum has been awarded $800 to research vanishing communities of that area.
4. Lynn Johnson Houze of Cody has received $700 to collect photographs of the Cody area for a book.
5. From Thermopolis, Mary Ellen Lee received $700 to research Wyoming petroglyphs for a PBS documentary
6. Linda Orrell of Meeteetse has received $1000 to collect information for a display about A.A. Anderson, the first superintendent of Yellowstone National Park.
7. Powell High School teacher, Karen Roles, was awarded $600 to assist with a multi-media classroom project that will document the school’s history.
8. Juliette Rule, a resident of Cheyenne, has been awarded $300 to research and write about a 1905 trip taken to Yellowstone National Park by Mrs. Hadzor.
9. John Shields, also from Cheyenne, has received $500 to research and write about the history of the Wyoming Water Association.
The Homsher Research Grants are made possible from the endowment that prominent Wyoming historian Lola Homsher created for the purpose of promoting the research of Wyoming history. Members of the committee include Chairman John R. Waggener, Laramie; Chuck Lanham, Cheyenne; Dave Taylor, Casper and Dick Wilder of Cody. Waggener said the application process for the 2008 round of grants will begin in December. To learn more about the Homsher Research Grants or other programs of the Wyoming State Historical Society visit the website www.wsysh.org.
Wyoming State Historical Society
Lola Homsher Grant Program
PMB #184, 1740H Dell Range Blvd.
Cheyenne WY 82009-4946