The Wyoming Historical Society announces recipients of its 2015 Lola Homsher research grants. Sylvia Bruner, chair of the Projects Committee noted that seven out of twenty- three applications were approved for a total award of $7,661.30. She said the committee was very impressed with the research projects that people from all over the United States are pursuing about aspects of Wyoming’s history. “This program is just one way the Society reaches out to the public in support of their efforts to preserving our state’s legacy.” Bruner said anyone, members and non-members alike, amateur and professional historians, and students are eligible to apply for the Research Grants as long as their end result is tangible. This year applications were reviewed by members of the Society’s Project Committee including Sylvia Bruner (Buffalo), Chair; Patty Kessler (Laramie); Tina Hill (Rawlins), and Rick Ewig (Cheyenne).
The recipients for the 2015 round of research grants are:
- Mark Baker, Louisville, CO. $1,000 for “Building a Legacy in the Bighorns: Garber Agri-Business, Inc.”
- Jessica Flock, Laramie. $1,100 for “Wheels Through Wyoming: Chronicles of Bicycling in the Equality State.”
- Jennifer Hill, Bozeman, MT. $1,000 for “When Women Birthed at Home: Reproduction in the North American West, 1860-1940.”
- Nicole Hill, Arcata, CA. $1,500 for “Lora Webb Nichols Photography Archive.”
- Kathryn McKee, Laramie. $961.30 for “Myth vs. Reality: Wyoming Stagecoach Drivers.”
- Alexandra Mogan, Norman, OK. $1,000 for “Dude Ranches of the Rocky Mountain West, 1900-1940.”
- Kathy Ogle, Cheyenne. $1,000 for “Rudy Mudra: Master Saddle Maker.”
In addition to receiving research funds, each recipient receives a one-year complimentary membership in the Society. Membership benefits include receiving the Society’s award winning quarterly journal, Annals of Wyoming, and the monthly Wyoming History News.
Applications are due each year on the last day of February. For details visit www.wyshs.org or call Society headquarters at 322-3014 or e-mail email@example.com.